This pizza. This tasty tasty Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork Pizza was made on a weeknight. Oh Crock-pot, how I love you so…
This recipe is a shout-out to Texas. I lived in Texas during my 20s. I went to graduate school in San Antonio and continued to work there for a little while until I went in the Army. I hated Texas. It was too hot, too flat, too dry, too… Texas. I need ocean. I need trees. I need east coast. But Texas does do one thing right …food. Grub in the lonestar state rawks, and Texas is where I learned to cook. So I wanted this pizza to be a throwback, an ode to Texas.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork Pizza recipe is the second using my new pride and joy Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce. In the morning, I just threw the meat in the slow cooker with some sauce and let it go slow and low all day. When we came home that evening, OMGosh my house smelled like heaven! Pork fumes wafting out the nooks and crannies of my home perfuming my whole little corner of the world and making the neighbors jelly. Life is good.
So I wanted the dough to be rustic. Like Texas. Hence, my whole wheat pizza dough. I made the dough the evening before, then just threw it in the fridge overnight as a little experiment to see if it would still work …and it totally still worked giving me a new tactic so I can cook pizza at least once a week. Then Longhorn Colby cheese, and a ton of it, was the logical choice. I mean, come on …Longhorn. Get it? My friends back then put Longhorn on everything. So I just took that super easy, super succulent pork, threw it on my pillowy, rustic pizza dough with a buttload of Longhorn cheese, and the fact that pizza is my favorite food was reaffirmed.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork Pizza
- 2 lb country-style shoulder pork ribs this is more than you'll need for the pizza, so pick up some burger buns for leftovers!
- 1 T Grilling Rub for Pork
- 1 c Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce or purchased BBQ sauce
- 1/2 c ranch dressing
- 1/2 recipe fresh pizza dough such as my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough *see Note
- 1/2 c thin red onion rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 c shredded Longhorn-style cheese Colby
- In the morning, take the pork and season well all around with Grilling Rub. Place in the slow cooker with 1 c barbecue sauce. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Take the pork out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Add ~1/4 c additional BBQ sauce to the meat.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and heat oven to 425F. Once oven is heated, heat an additional 15 minutes to ensure stone is fully heated.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Transfer to the preheated pizza stone. Layer the following ingredients in order: ranch dressing, onion, bell pepper, pork (~1 to 1-1/2 c), and cheese. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes until dough is cooked and toasty and the cheese is all awesome melty. Yield: 4 servings.
My Whole Wheat Pizza Dough makes enough dough for 2 pizzas. So, in addition to the pulled pork pizza, I made a Random Veggie Pizza to use stuff up from the fridge. ...Also, if you are making dough, do it the night before! Once the dough has risen, just stick it in a ziploc bag and into the fridge. Then when you are ready the next day, take the dough out and allow it to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature (while your stove is heating and you prep the other ingredients), then roll it out and make the pizza. Or if you don't want to make your own, most grocery stores carry fresh pizza dough in the bakery section.