Christmas Croissant Breakfast Casserole is the perfect solution to the “what should I give them for breakfast” holiday question. This creamy, cheesy, egg-y recipe is assembled the night before, so all you have to do is bake in the morning. And with mushrooms, red bell pepper, and [surprise] poblano pepper AND three cheeses, this decadent vegetarian dish will become a family favorite for all.
So, this post is almost feeling like a drive-by, because I am just throwing this Christmas Croissant Breakfast Casserole recipe out into the world with no story, no hook. But it is such a really delicious recipe, and I have now made this two years in a row, so it is ready. I love that it is vegetarian – it doesn’t need meat, but you could always add it if you’d like. I just think that on a big holiday when you are going to be shelling out shloads of food all day, keep breakfast lighter without the meat. This recipe is rich enough. And I LOVE that I used poblano pepper for a teensy bit of zip every couple bites. Poblano peppers are SO dang tasty and they really make this casserole perfect.
That’s it! MAKE this Christmas Croissant Breakfast Casserole recipe, it is easy but fancy, pretty and festive. All the feelz for your holiday breakfast to share with those you love.
Christmas Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3-4 large croissants, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 2 Tbs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- couple pinches fresh cracked pepper
- Under the oven broiler, roast the poblano and red bell peppers, turning every 4-5 minutes, until skins are blackened and blistered all over. Move the blackened peppers to a ziploc bag to allow to steam. Once cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skins and seeds. Chop and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing regularly, until nicely browned.
- In a 13x9 baking dish, toss together the poblano pepper, red bell pepper, mushrooms, croissant pieces, green onion, and parsley. Top with the cheeses.
- Combine the eggs, cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over the casserole. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to set overnight.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until center is set. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Yields 8 servings.