Creamy Avocado Tortellini Salad, with healthy black beans and veggies, is perfect for entertaining or for a potluck!
We are blessed with fabulous neighbors …on one side anyway. And over the years, we have gotten together with them many times for various holidays and celebrations. I seem to always provide ribs, deviled eggs, and cheesy bacon-wrapped jalapenos, and they provide beans, burgers, more deviled eggs, and a salad with tortellini. I always look forward to this salad – tortellini in salad is simply awesome. My neighbor does it Caesar-style, with romaine and croutons. And in my version here, I went west. Or southwest. Whichever, this salad is creamy, awesome, healthy, and perfect for that party or backyard barbecue.
I have an Avocado Herb Dressing that is very versatile. I absolutely love this dressing – I’ve used it over stuffed poblano peppers, in a taco salad with grilled veggies, and in a healthy lunch. It’s just a really nice, healthy dressing that goes well with most everything. So I threw it in this salad with the tortellini and added other yummy stuff like black beans, tomatoes, and queso fresco. So yummy! Sabroso! ..(no, I don’t speak Spanish. I googled ‘yummy’).
- 1 (10 oz) bag chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 c black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 (9 oz ) package fresh three cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions, drained, and rinsed with cold water
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 recipe prepared Avocado Herb Dressing
- 4 oz queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- garnish: fresh cracked pepper and additional queso fresco cheese
- Just toss everything together and serve immediately. If you aren't serving right away, keep the dressing separate until ready to serve - the dressing will keep for a day, but because of the avocado it will oxidize once added to the rest of the ingredients. Serves a small crowd.