Blackstone French Toast with Amaretto has rich and sweet almond flavor in Texas toast French toast. On the Blackstone Griddle or stovetop, this recipe for amaretto French toast has fluffy thick bread dipped in eggs with cream and amaretto and cooked to toasty buttery perfection. Easy to make, enjoy this incredibly delicious and unique French toast for breakfast or brunch, or make a batch and freeze for later.
If you love cooking outdoors, check out all my Grill and Griddle recipes.
Why this recipe works
When I make my Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes or literally any style of French toast, I always add a little vanilla extract for a special touch. Well, adding amaretto sent the flavor of this French toast to the moon. This Texas toast French toast is THAT good and I will gush about it forever.
What is amaretto?
Amaretto is a smooth, rich Italian liqueur with sweet almond flavor. It is typically enjoyed over ice straight or mixed with whiskey in an Amaretto Sour. I love it with Kahlua and vodka in milk as a twist on the White Russian.
About the ingredients
- Four large eggs is enough for me to get through most of a loaf of Texas toast bread.
- Heavy cream is listed in the recipe card, but you can also use regular cream, half and half, or milk.
- Amaretto liqueur.
- Pure vanilla extract
- A pinch kosher salt. Even though this is a sweet French toast recipe, we want a touch of salt to cut the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
- Thick cut sliced “Texas toast” bread. I found mine at Walmart.
- Unsalted butter for the skillet or griddle. Butter works much better to get the crispy edges and perfect flavor (as opposed to cooking spray).
- Sliced almonds as a finishing garnish, but these are optional.
- Powdered sugar, which is also known as confectioner’s sugar.
How to make Blackstone French toast (or on the stovetop)
Whether making Blackstone French toast or traditional skillet or griddle French toast, the steps are the same. First, we whisk up the ingredients (eggs, cream, amaretto, vanilla, and salt) in a bowl wide enough for us to submerge the bread in the egg mixture.
Next heat up your cooking surface (griddle, Blackstone, or stovetop skillet) over medium heat. We want the surface hot enough that it gives a little sizzle, but we don’t want burnt French toast.
Shmear some butter on that surface. Using your fingers, dip a piece of bread into the egg mixture and flip to fully coat. Put that on the griddle and repeat for as many as your griddle size will allow. Once bread is toasty golden on the underside, flip. Then we serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and sprinkling of sliced almonds.
I specify using your fingers to handle coating the bread with the egg mixture because the bread fell apart when I tried using a fork. Using my fingers worked much better.
Almond extract may be substituted for the amaretto. Note that almond extract is intense and a little goes a long way. Therefore, I recommend only adding a 1/4 teaspoon.
When I make a batch of French toast for freezing, I stack them, offset, in a large plastic storage container to protect them. Freeze for up to 1 month.
Blackstone French Toast with Amaretto
- pure maple syrup
- sliced almonds
- powdered sugar for dusting
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, amaretto, vanilla, and salt.
- Heat up cook surface, such as griddle, large nonstick skillet, or Blackstone outdoor griddle, over medium heat.
- Grease hot cook surface with a pat of butter. Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture, drain off excess, and lay to cook on the griddle. Repeat according to how many slices of bread your griddle size will allow.
- Once toasty on the bottom, flip each French toast and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat the above process, using another pat of butter, to use up all the egg mixture and bread.
- Serve French toast topped with syrup, a sprinkling of almonds, and dusting of powdered sugar.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.