This recipe below is one I adapted from a Paula Deen recipe – and this one I love (especially since I’ve cut some of the fat). Crab-stuffed shrimp, wrapped in bacon, served with a beautiful lemon basil cream? YES!!
Note: also pictured above are my Cream Cheese Smashed Potatoes.
Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Crab Stuffing and Lemon Basil Cream
- 8 oz lump crabmeat picked clean
- 3/4 c Ritz crackers crushed
- 2 scallions tops and whites finely chopped
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t Grey Poupon Harvest Country dijon
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t Old Bay
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lb large shrimp peeled, deveined, and butterflied
- ~3/4 lb bacon cut into thirds
Lemon Basil Cream
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 a small shallot minced
- 1 t minced fresh garlic
- 1 T flour
- 1/4 c dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 c half and half
- 2 T fresh basil finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven for 425.
- Crab stuffing: Combine crab, crackers, scallions, mayonnaise, egg, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, and Old Bay. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Stuff into each shrimp. Wrap each stuffed shrimp with bacon and arrange them in a large baking pan (see pic below).
- Put the shrimp in the oven and roast until the bacon begins to render and brown, 15-20 min. Switch the oven to broil. Broil the shrimp 2-3 min until bacon is browned.
- Sauce: Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until shallot is softened, ~3min. Add flour and cook a couple minutes. Whisk in the wine and simmer for 2 min; then add the half and half. Simmer until reduced by half. Add the lemon juice and basil. Taste for seasoning. Keep the sauce warm over very low heat. Serves 4.