Delicious, heart-warming, holiday-worthy Cream Cheese Smashed Potatoes that your whole family will love. This is my go-to, family-favorite recipe for holiday potatoes, and it has been for years. I have made it for just the four of us, and I have made it for 80 people. This smashed potato recipe is one of those dependable recipes you can count on for years to come.
I love making smashed potatoes, and I always make this recipe instead of traditional mashed potatoes. First, they’re just delicious. And second, they are just so simple to make. No peeling the potatoes. No whipping or having to get the potatoes smooth. Chunky is good 🙂
Cream Cheese Smashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes cut into large chunks
- 3/4 c milk
- 8 oz veggie cream cheese such as Philadelphia Garden Vegetable
- 1 T chives or scallions chopped
- 1 t kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- Put the cut potatoes into a pot and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender. The time required depends on how small your potatoes are or how small you cut them up. Large red potatoes, each cut into 6 chunks will take about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mash with remaining ingredients leaving it pretty chunky. Taste for seasoning. Serves 6.