This simple, Slow Cooker Italian Pepperoncini Chicken supper takes just a couple minutes to throw together into the slow cooker and gives you a healthy, amazing dinner.
So what is new with you?!!! I’m typing this on Veteran’s Day, so I am home today with the kids icing my toosh. Classy, I know, but it seems I overdid it running, biking, or both, and I appear to have inflammed my piriformis. It’s a butt-cheek muscle, google it. …I have a half marathon in less than 3 weeks and my first half Ironman in 9, so I am not freaking out. Not at all. I am not stress eating – not one bit…
…wait till you see the sweet treat I have for you next post. Made that today too.
Any-who, I had this chicken in the fridge to grill for lunches as usual. But then I saw my crock pot in the pantry. “Love me”, it said. “Loooove me.” Creepy? Not at all – your slow cooker is like a husband. Feed it and it will make you happy. So I did.
So pepperoncini, right?! Where the hell did THAT idea come from. ..well, this recipe was actually inspired by one of my favorite bloggers, Libby at Lemony Thyme. First, Libby loves pantry-cooking (which is totally what I did here). And second, Libby has a Pepperoncini Pot Roast and errytime I see it, I think “damn that’s brilliant”. So I have had cooking with banana peppers in the back of my mind for a while thanks to her. And so here we are.
…because sometimes you just gotta throw stuff in the crockpot and see what happens.
But what if you don’t like banana peppers? Make this anyway! Seriously! This is not a banana peppery dish, trust me. It is a slow-cooked, flavor-melded plate of love. This recipe reminds me of something you’d get in France or Italy – a simple recipe where magic just happens. I was worried that with the tomatoes and peppers, this would come out tangy, but it isn’t at all. It all comes together into this total umami moment and you will lick your plate clean.
This simple dinner is as easy as it gets folks, giving you healthy, delicious, clean eats for din-din!
- 2 to 2-1/2 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 t dried Italian herb seasoning mix (or just dried oregano)
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 c thinly sliced pepperoncini peppers (also called banana peppers)
- 1 can petit diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 oz reserved pickling juice from the pepperoncini jar
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (for the easiest brown rice directions EVER, see mine here)
- garnish: fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Put the chicken in a single layer in the crockpot. Season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Layer in the garlic, onion, peppers, and tomatoes (with the juice!). Lastly, add in the reserved pickling juice from the pepperoncini.
- Set pot to low and let her go 8-10 hours. Use a slotted spoon to serve over rice, topped with a sprinkling of parsley and cheese. Yields: 4 servings.