You would think the turkey would be the star of this Best Stuffing Ever, holiday feast, but in our house it’s the stuffing. As soon as I realize Thanksgiving is approaching, I daydream about this stuffing. With tasty sausage and beautiful browned mushrooms, this classic side is simply, absolutely the Best Stuffing Ever
To drain sausage, I always just throw it in a bowl with some paper towels.
Mushrooms set aside on the sausage. For more detailed instruction on how to properly brown mushrooms, see my article here.
Of course lots of seasoning go into stuffing…
Once the veggies, seasonings, and sausage are combined, I usually nibble a bit at this point…
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats homemade Chicken Stock.
Ready for the oven…
Best Stuffing Ever
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sage sausage browned and drained of fat
- 4 T unsalted butter divided
- 1 large white onion diced
- 4 large celery ribs thinly sliced
- 1/4 c fresh parsley
- 12 oz fresh cremini or white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 12 oz bag country-style, cubed Pepperidge Farm stuffing
- 1 t poultry seasoning
- 1 t dried sage
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t dried marjoram
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c Chicken Stock
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350-375F.
- Cook the onion and celery in 2 T butter until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the mushrooms in 2 T butter until browned. Toss the cooked veggies with the parsley and seasonings. Add the veggie mixture and sausage to the stuffing in a large mixing bowl. Pour in enough broth just to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to a 13x9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, and cover with foil.
- Bake 30min at 350-375F. Remove foil, and bake another 30 minutes.
This goes amazing with my Applejack Giblet Gravy!