Roasted Poblano Pizza is quick and easy for your pizza dinner. To streamline prep even further, all the ingredients can be prepared in advance and be ready to go on a premade pizza shell. Salty bacon, crisp onion, flavorful roasted poblano peppers, and a bright and fresh cilantro pesto sauce combine for a divine pizza that you will love every time.
This website uses affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why this recipe works
This little roasted poblano pizza recipe works because the combination of flavors is literally so delicious it blows my mind. Plus, we get the added bonus that the ingredients are easy and pretty much everything can be prepped in advance. This way, we just throw our pizza together when it’s go-time.
Poblano peppers are far and away my favorite. I love them in my Poblano Queso recipe. I especially love them in my Roasted Poblano and Sausage Dip recipe – damn, that’s good stuff. And if you browse, you will find a literal ton of recipes on this site using poblano peppers.
So of course with pizza being my favorite food, it was just a given for me to make a poblano pizza. And to make my poblano pizza, I use toppings that go SO well with the peppers: bacon, onion, avocado, and my own Cilantro Pesto. A little salt from the bacon, a little crunch and bite from the onion, decadent avocado, and fresh pesto with cilantro and lime to bring it all together.
Are poblano peppers hot?
Nope. Poblano peppers rank near the bottom on the Scolville hotness meter. They come in at 1,000-2,000 Scoville Heat Units, so they can sometimes have a little kick, but they are nowhere near jalapenos, serranos, Thai chiles, and so on.
Poblano peppers have a naturally smoky, yummy flavor that intensifies when roasted — and roasting is easily done under an oven broiler. They are truly delicious if you have not tried them.
About the ingredients
The ingredients for my poblano pizza are all approachable and easy to prepare. The bacon can be cooked, onion sliced, peppers roasted and sliced, and pesto prepared a day in advance as well.
- Precooked pizza shell. Look for a brand of thin crust that will get crispy.
- Poblano peppers
- Cilantro Pesto. My pesto recipe is VERY easy to make and comes together in just a minute. The flavors are bright and fresh with cilantro herb and lime, and these are integral to the pizza.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cracked black pepper
I have mentioned a bunch of times that the ingredients can be prepped in advance. However, if not doing that, I recommend the following schema: while roasting the peppers, cook the bacon, make the pesto, and slice the onion. Each of those are quick and can easily be done in the time it takes to roast the peppers.
I am a big fan of my pizza stone and use it religiously, but it only works to crisp the crust if it is HOT. So I have it in the oven to preheat thoroughly while my oven is coming to temperature.
If you are not a fan of cilantro, simply substitute fresh, Italian (flat-leaf) parsley. Do not use curly parsley, which is a garnish.
Roasted Poblano Pizza
- Heat the broiler in the oven. Roast and char the peppers, turning every couple minutes, under the broiler until the skin is lightly charred. Put the peppers in a ziploc bag and let them steam 5-10 minutes. Remove the skins and seeds, and slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat oven to 425℉ with pizza stone in the oven to heat as well.
- Remove the pizza stone from the oven. Place the crust on the heated pizza stone. Layer the cilantro Pesto, poblano peppers, bacon, onions, and cheese.
- Put the stone with the pizza in the oven and bake ~10-15 minutes until cheese is melty and lightly browned and the crust is crisp.
- Remove pizza from the oven and slice into 8 slices. Serve with a slice of avocado on each slice and a little fresh cracked pepper sprinkled over.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.