Chicken and beans, farm fresh tomatoes, and two different cheeses are just the beginning of this easy Mexican Chicken Pizza that is just so damn tasty. Easy for a weeknight, and a perfect solution for leftover chicken, this delicious pie is ready in just minutes.
Chicken and beans, farm fresh tomatoes, and two different cheeses are just the beginning of this easy pizza that is just so damn tasty. Easy for a weeknight, and a perfect solution for leftover chicken, this delicious pie is ready in just minutes.
Yayyy pizza time! Because it is Friday. Don’t you love when you just nose around your kitchen and pantry and throw something together that turns out super surprisingly awesome? …yeah, me too.
So, here we sit watching and listening for updates on Hurricane/Tropical Storm/Depression ERIKA. She had us in her sights yesterday – very directly, in fact. From the prediction. Enough that I was forced to go to Walmart. But then her predicted track sifted west. Then east. Then west again. I will not be surprised if she dissipates by morning. Or not. Either way, we are good with all the necessities and accoutrements including plenty of healthy munchies and beer.
My real concern is the rain. We have gotten soooooo much rain this summer – this week especially. My daughter and I drove through the worst ever torrential apocalyptic thunderstorm, complete with hail, just two nights ago. And that was not even related to Erika. So. Much. Rain. It just has nowhere to go anymore. And we are already in the middle of rain damage repair to our home, so if we get dumped on, all tropical storm-like, that could be a nightmare.
…sidebar, but I was totally fine reading “Erika this, and Erika that” in the news online. …but then I came home and put on the TV and hearing “Erika this and that” is very different. Just saying.
But, anyway, in the midst of this unlikely impending doom, I literally made this up on the fly. Went around the kitchen – spotted that I had grape tomatoes and a large yellow tomato to use up very soon, and a whole wheat pizza crust in the freezer. Oooh and cheeses in the freezer too. Beans check. Spinach check. Onion check. …and leftover Applewood Smoked Organic, Free-Range Chicken. Yummm.
Was not planning on creating awesomeness this night – I just wanted to feed everyone and be Friday chilll. But the next thing I knew, I was taking photos. And this pizza tasted every bit as good as it looks.
So, all the ingredients here are just uncomplicated and delicious. What makes this pizza really rock though are the final touches. Salsa, fresh sliced avocado, and jalapeno. Yum yum yum yum yum. With the cheese and tomatoes, this really all comes together to a very tasty bite.
And this recipe uses one of my bestest little tactics for getting better food in my family – chop spinach, and slip it into ev-er-y-thing. …Noone even noticed.
So here it is kids! My latest version of my favorite food. Easy pizza. Does life get better?
Mexican Chicken Pizza
- 1 prepared whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 yellow tomato seeded and diced
- 1 red tomato seeded and diced
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped
- garnish: fresh chopped cilantro salsa, sliced avocado, and sliced pickled jalapenos
- Heat oven with the pizza stone in the oven to 450F.
- While oven is heating assemble the pizza. Layer the ingredients in the following order on the prepared pizza crust: mozzarella cheese (on the bottom to act as a glue and keep the other toppings on!), tomatoes, onion, spinach, beans, chicken, cheddar cheese.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone. Bake ~12 minutes or until toppings are hot and cheese is melty and golden. Yield: 1 pizza.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.