With cheesy potato dumplings and sweet peas, this cozy Gnocchi Mac ‘N Cheese with Ham and Peas casserole is a perfect way to use up leftover holiday ham.
Gnocchi Mac ‘N Cheese with Ham and Peas
This Gnocchi Mac ‘N Cheese with Ham and Peas casserole is delicious. Very seriously, cheesy, creamy deliciousness. And I just made it up tonight using stuff I had on hand, including the last of the Christmas ham. Needless to say, I would definitely go out of my way to make this again. While I make gnocchi often because my daughter loves them, I do confess that I have not yet made gnocchi from scratch. That is one for the bucket list. In the meantime, this recipe will most certainly do.
For actual macaroni and cheese recipes, check these out
- Garlic, Bacon, and Beer Macaroni and Cheese
- Fried Salsa Verde Macaroni and Cheese Balls
- Jalapeno and Chorizo Macaroni and Cheese
- Pulled Pork Macaroni and Cheese with Crispy Bacon and Herb Topping
- Cranberry Chorizo Macaroni and Cheese
- Wine and Thyme Macaroni and Cheese
See, I LOVE macaroni and cheese. Almost as much as pizza.
Anyhoots, other than using gnocchi, everything else about this recipe is a standard macaroni and cheese, with leftover ham and peas thrown in for good measure. So easy, and the pillowy gnocchi SOAK up that cheese sauce to make all the awesomeness come true. I adore this recipe – it is easy, cozy comfort, in a cheesy sauce. Gnocchi are special. If you haven’t made them, you must try – and they cook in just 3 minutes!
So that’s it folks. A perfect recipe for leftover ham. A perfect recipe to sneak peas into your kids. And a perfect recipe for a fun spin on a traditional recipe.
Gnocchi Mac 'N Cheese with Ham and Peas
- 1 16 oz pkg gnocchi
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup milk
- pinch Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cup shredded Vermont white sharp cheddar
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cup diced ham
- 1 cup peas thawed if frozen
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 350F. Put a large pot of salted water to boil.
- While water is heating, make the cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and flour, whisking until smooth and bubbly to make a roux. Cook on medium heat 2 minutes to cook the flour. Slowly, whisking constantly, add the milk. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and add the Italian seasoning, cheeses, salt, pepper, dijon, ham, and peas.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook according to package directions (until they float to the top). Drain and toss gently into the cheese sauce. Pour all into a 2-qt casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko and olive oil. Sprinkle over the gnocchi mac 'n cheese. Put casserole in the oven to bake, uncovered, 35 minutes at 350F or until bubbly and lightly browned. Serves 4.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.