Tender, crumbly Banana, Avocado, and Flax Muffins. Make these healthy muffins ahead and freeze, then enjoy as you want during the week.
Remember when replacing oil in cakes and brownies with applesauce was all the rage? Or maybe it’s still all the rage, I dunno, but along that line, I have been thinking lately of trying to make a couple goodies – a couple baked goodies – using avocado. I figured theoretically it should work, so let’s find out…
For my first avocado-in-baking adventure, I chose to take my grandmother’s banana bread recipe and adapt it for Banana, Avocado, and Flax Muffins – GASP! I did something trendy with an heirloom recipe! ..actually, it’s totally fine. Grammy Peggy’s recipe is the best I have ever had, but she herself isn’t a fan of any banana bread. Odd, yes? Yes, but I at least I know she won’t take issue with me messing with her recipe.
Any-who, I used my grandmother’s recipe, which has no added butter or oil to begin with, and I swapped out half the flour with whole wheat flour (with some water to compensate), then I swapped out half the walnuts with flax, then I added avocado. C’est tout. Oh, and I made muffins instead of a loaf so these will be grab-and-go for breakfast this week.
So everything you just read above, I typed while these were baking. Wanna know the verdict? …These muffins are the BOMBdiggity! I ate the one shmeared in butter in the photo and holy crap are these great! Seriously the best banana muffin EV-AH!! And you want the skinny? …207 calories per muffin, 6g fat (remember those are healthy fats from the avocado, walnuts, and flax), 4g fiber, 5g protein, and respectable doses of potassium (250mg thank you bananas), sodium (268mg), vitamin C (6%), and iron (8%), making one of these muffins an outstanding breakfast! …with some coffee, clearly.
Banana, Avocado, and Flax Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 VERY VERY ripe bananas like, ridiculously ripe
- 1/2 creamy ripe avocado
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup freshly ground flax seed meal
- cooking spray
- old fashioned rolled oats for topping
- Combine the flours, salt, and baking soda. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and avocado. Stir in the eggs, water, sugar, nuts, and flax. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined – don’t over do it! Divide batter between 12 muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray. Top each muffin with a sprinkling of rolled oats.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Yield: 12 muffins.