Potato chips in a cookie? YES!! Every Christmas season, the question I inevitably get first is “When are you going to make Potato Chip Cookies?” Salty, crispy, sweet – so unexpectedly different in the best possible way. And they freeze great too. This is an old family recipe.
Potato Chip Cookies
- ¾ c granulated sugar plus additional for coating the balls of cookie dough
- ¾ c unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1-½ c all-purpose flour
- 1/8 t baking soda
- ¾ c chopped walnuts
- ¾ c crushed potato chips I use plain Lays
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Combine the first four ingredients, then add the next four. Form 1-in balls, and roll each in granulated sugar. Put sugared cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet, spacing to allow for when the cookies flatten as they bake. Make crisscross marks with a fork.
- Bake 12-15 until just barely browned around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields ~ two dozen cookies.