This salad is amazing with my Fettuccine Alfredo or Classic Lasagna.
There is something so special about real Caesar dressing, and it just cannot be purchased. My recipe is adapted from one at ItalianFoodForever.com.
Recipes like this are why I keep ends and pieces from leftover bread in the freezer.
Homemade croutons really ARE better than store-bought…
Just trust me….anchovy really is the key to Caesar dressing.
For the croutons
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups country bread slices cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
For the salad
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 medium garlic clove crushed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ½ t fresh cracked pepper
- 1 t anchovy paste or 3 anchovies
- 1 t Grey Poupon Country Dijon mustard
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium heads of romaine lettuce
- ⅓ c freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss together the garlic, oil, salt, and bread. Bake on a ribbed baking sheet until golden (~10min).
- Combine the yolks, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, anchovy paste, and mustard in a food processor or in a bowl with a whisk. Add the oil in a steady stream while processing or whisking until smooth. Serve the dressing over torn romaine leaves, croutons, and grated cheese. Top with bacon crumbles. Serves 4-6.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Tried this recipe?Leave a comment below and let me know!