There is something so special about real Caesar dressing, and it just cannot be purchased. My recipe is adapted from one at ItalianFoodForever.com.
Recipes like this are why I keep ends and pieces from leftover bread in the freezer.
Homemade croutons really ARE better than store-bought…
Just trust me….anchovy really is the key to Caesar dressing.
For the croutons
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups country bread slices cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
For the salad
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 medium garlic clove crushed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ½ t fresh cracked pepper
- 1 t anchovy paste or 3 anchovies
- 1 t Grey Poupon Country Dijon mustard
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium heads of romaine lettuce
- ⅓ c freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss together the garlic, oil, salt, and bread. Bake on a ribbed baking sheet until golden (~10min).
- Combine the yolks, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, anchovy paste, and mustard in a food processor or in a bowl with a whisk. Add the oil in a steady stream while processing or whisking until smooth. Serve the dressing over torn romaine leaves, croutons, and grated cheese. Top with bacon crumbles. Serves 4-6.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.