Don’t you love when your family asks what you’re making for dinner and you tell them ‘vegetarian’ and they give you grief? Ya, me neither. …But then I get to sit and gloat during dinner when they are loving it. This was one of those meals.
Totally healthy tacos with just a couple simple ingredients, these are easy to make for a weeknight and surprisingly delicious – I was shocked by my first bite. I think it’s the combo of the tangy feta with the sweet zucchini and corn. It’s really incredible. The leftovers were great too, and this made for a couple mighty tasty lunches for me at work as a bonus. By the way, if you are wondering why I used feta instead of queso fresco, the feta was two dollars cheaper. I am now a convert for feta on tacos.
What you also see in the background there is a heaping of my Mexican Yellow Rice. You can get that recipe here.
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 heaping c diced zucchini
- 1 c whole kernel corn, thawed if frozen
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 c black beans, rinsed
- 2 T diced green chiles, drained
- 3 t Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- cooking spray
- 8 corn tortillas
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on high heat. Add the zucchini, corn, and garlic, and saute, tossing occasionally, until zucchini is softened and lightly browned. Add the black beans, chiles, taco seasoning, and salt. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt if necessary.
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet on high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add a tortilla. Spray the top side of the tortilla with cooking spray. Lightly toast the tortilla, turning once, and set aside. Repeat with the remaining tortillas (this will keep them from falling apart when eating).
- Serve the zucchini taco filling in a tortilla, topped with feta and fresh cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.