I love spanikopita with a passion, but they really are a labor of love. So I made this recipe up to get that spanikopita fix, but these little yum-yums are so much easier to make. Here I use store-bought fillo shells and a yummy filling, and I also add arugula just because arugula is awesome. The result is a fast and easy appetizer that is elegant just the same.
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T onion, finely diced
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3 oz arugula
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 t dried dill
- 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for grating
- 1/2 tub (~3 oz) Boursin cheese (or cream cheese)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- good pinch kosher salt
- couple grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t lemon zest
- 1/2 t fresh lemon juice
- 2 boxes mini fillo frozen pre-made tarts shells (30 shells)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Saute the garlic for ~30 sec in the olive oil. Add the spinach, arugula, onion, and garlic; saute until the greens are very wilted and yummy. Put the greens in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the water (using kitchen tongs helps because it's still hot). Put the greens on a cutting board and chop well.
- Combine the greens with the remaining ingredients except the fillo shells. Spoon the filling into the shells. Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes until cooked through (listen for little sizzles and it's done). Serve with additional parmesan grated over. Makes 30 tarlets.