I love spanikopita with a passion, but they really are a labor of love. So I made this recipe up to get that spanikopita fix, but these little yum-yums are so much easier to make. Here I use store-bought fillo shells and a yummy filling, and I also add arugula just because arugula is awesome. The result is a fast and easy appetizer that is elegant just the same.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3 oz arugula
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 t dried dill
- 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for grating
- 1/2 tub (~3 oz) Boursin cheese (or cream cheese)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- good pinch kosher salt
- couple grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t lemon zest
- 1/2 t fresh lemon juice
- 2 boxes mini fillo frozen pre-made tarts shells (30 shells)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Saute the onion and garlic for ~30 sec in the olive oil. Add the spinach and arugula; saute until the greens are very wilted and yummy. Put the greens in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the water (using kitchen tongs helps because it's still hot). Put the greens on a cutting board and chop well.
- Combine the greens with the remaining ingredients except the fillo shells. Spoon the filling into the shells. Bake at 400F for about 10-15 minutes until cooked through (listen for little sizzles and it's done). Serve with additional parmesan grated over. Makes 30 tarlets.