Cranberry & Bacon Cornbread Stuffing is a neat twist on dressing with sweet and tart cranberries and salty bacon.
For the past week, since my grocery store here in Florida finally got in fresh cranberries, I’ve been going nuts over these tart little beauties. I absolutely love cranberries, and I appear to be on a mission to see how many different ways I can use them. So tonight, I stuck them in some stuffing. When all was done, I quickly saw this clearly needed some kind of gravy, as all stuffings do, and in the absence of another option at the time, I whipped up a Cream Gravy. The bacon is obviously a bonus.
Cranberry & Bacon Cornbread Stuffing
For the stuffing
- ½ lb bacon cut into lardons
- 2 c large white onion diced
- 2 c thinly sliced celery
- 1 ½ c fresh cranberries chopped
- 1 16 oz bag Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 t kosher salt
- ½ t fresh cracked pepper
- 1 t poultry seasoning
- ¼ t cinnamon
- 3 c Chicken Stock
- Cream Gravy optional - recipe follows
For the Cream Gravy
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ c half and half
- pinch kosher salt
- ¼ t fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels leaving the bacon fat in the skillet. Pour off bacon fat leaving ~3-4T in the pan. Add the onions and celery to the skillet. Season with salt to help the veggies soften and cook 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add the bacon and veggies to a large mixing bowl. Toss with the remaining ingredients adding more or less Chicken Stock as necessary to moisten the stuffing. Transfer to a baking dish, cover, and bake 30 minutes at 350F until heated through.
- To make the gravy: In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter and flour whisking until smooth. Cook 2 minutes. Slowly add the half and half, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes over medium-high heat until thickened. Remove from the heat, and add salt and pepper. Serve the stuffing with Cream Gravy spooned over.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.