Lemon crepes under lemon mascarpone topped with honey, blueberries, and crushed Biscoff cookies. Just the right balance of sweetness, luxurious mascarpone cheese, and tart fresh lemon. This is a perfect spring dessert, easy to make.
Why this recipe works
An elegantly simple dessert with lemon, blueberries, and honey over rich and luxuriously creamy lemon mascarpone and tender lemon crepes. What is there even to talk about? This dessert is perfection.
I love how these dessert crepes look so fancy, but are really – and I do mean really – not hard to make. Each component is straightforward to prepare, they can be prepared in advance, and the combination of flavors is heaven on your plate. That is why this recipe works so well for me.
All of the ingredients are listed in the recipe card below. Here are a couple extra tips to make sure you are successful.
- You want your lemon zest to be fine to mix into the crepe batter well, so think cheese grater rather than shredder to get the zest off the lemon.
- Mascarpone cheese is similar to cream cheese, but creamier and with a very slightly different flavor. Look for it either in the dairy aisle or with the specialty cheeses.
- Lemon curd is a cooked mixture of egg, lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter. Here is a lemon curd recipe. You can also purchase lemon curd in the jams and jellies grocery section, which is precisely what I did for this recipe.
- Be sure to use pure vanilla extract rather than imitation vanilla.
- Look for Biscoff cookies in the cookie aisle. If not available, grab another cookie like amaretti cookies, pecan sandies, or even gingersnaps.
How to make lemon crepes
In my Savory Crepe recipe, I give you all the information, instruction, photos, and tips you need to make perfect crepes at home without any fancy pans or gadgets – just a small saucepan. So, for these lemon crepes, we are using that same recipe and those same techniques – except we are adding a bit of sugar and lemon to the batter. That’s it – and it transforms the crepes into luscious, buttery, lemony delicious.
How to make lemon mascarpone
The lemon mascarpone is made in basically 3 steps:
- Mix the lemon curd and mascarpone.
- Whip the cream.
- Fold the two mixtures together. If folding is new to you, see this folding tutorial for detailed instruction, but essentially it is using a rubber spatula to gently turn the mixtures together and combine so we don’t man-handle out the air that we just whipped into the cream.
I feel the biggest key to perfect lemon mascarpone is to whip the cream to soft peaks. This is the stage at which the cream resembles whipped cream, but is on the softer side. It is able to form peaks when you lift the mixer out, but the cream on the mixer falls right back in when placed down again. This is the consistency you want whipped cream to be when you are going to combine – such as, in this case, our lovely lemony mascarpone.
Assemble crepes and serve
I chose to simply fold a couple crepes on the plate and top with the lemon mascarpone so that it would sit all pretty on top to catch the blueberries and honey. You can, of course, serve however you like – with the lemon mascarpone in the crepes, under, with strawberries or other fruit rather than blueberries – how-ev-er you like. You can even dust with powdered sugar to an even bigger finish!
If mascarpone is not available, good quality cream cheese may be substituted. However, note that cream cheese will not combine as smoothly as mascarpone so I recommend whipping a tablespoon of heavy cream into the cream cheese first, then proceed with the recipe.
If you love crepes like I do, check out all my crepe recipes here.
Lemon Crepes with Lemon Mascarpone
For the Lemon Crepes
- 1 batch Savory Crepes batter
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp fine fresh lemon zest about 1 lemon’s worth
For the Lemon Mascarpone
- 1 (8 oz) container mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup lemon curd
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey for drizzling
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup crushed Biscoff cookies
Make the Lemon Crepes
- Mix 1 batch of batter from my crepes recipe. Add the sugar and lemon zest to the batter. Proceed to cook the crepes according to those instructions. (Adding the sugar and lemon zest to the batter is the only modification to the recipe.)
- Once cooked, stack crepes on a plate and cover with plastic wrap or foil to keep them from drying out.
Make the Lemon Mascarpone
- In a medium bowl, combine the mascarpone, lemon curd, and a pinch of kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a large, chilled mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat the cream until slightly thickened. Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- To the whipped cream, add the mascarpone mixture. Use a large rubber spatula to gently fold the two mixtures together. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Assemble and Serve
- When ready to serve, fold 2 crepes as desired and lay on a dish.
- Top with Lemon Mascarpone, blueberries, lemon zest (if desired), and a drizzle of honey. Repeat for each person. Serve immediately.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.