I have made various versions of broccoli slaw over the years, and it has always gone over just “ok” with my family. But for this Labor Day bbq, I went a different route by adding some sweetness with fresh pineapple and dried cranberries. This made it more reminiscent of broccoli salad, which I know my family likes, and, shocker, I sweetened something up and suddenly they’re all on board! I made this slaw to go with my Pumpkin Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders, and it was a winner.
Sweet Broccoli Slaw
- 1/2 c light mayonnaise (such as Hellmann’s Olive Oil mayo)
- 1/4 c light buttermilk
- 1 t country-style dijon mustard (such as Grey Poupon)
- 1 t cider vinegar
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t fresh cracked pepper
- 1 (12 oz) bag pre-shredded broccoli slaw
- 1 (8 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (such as Craisins)
In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, vinegar, dijon, salt, and pepper. Toss in the slaw, pineapple, and Craisins. Chill for a couple hours to blend flavors. Serve 6-8.