Fresh vegetables and pasta surrounded in the most satisfying, dreamy, dairy-free cream sauce ever. This easy Creamy Vegan Vegetable Primavera dinner is all health and happiness.
And here we are! Goodbye 2017, hello 2018, and oh dear Lord do I need to stop splurging. Like, holy cow, holy crap, 2017 will be forever known as my even-my-leggings-are-snug year. What the hell Erica — 2016 I got all buff and awesome training eight freaking months for my Ironman triathlon, only to subsequently let it all go completely. Then, to make things worse, I tore my hamstring at Ironman Miami 70.3 in October, which, two half marathons later, manifested as high hammie tendinopathy. So I haven’t run (or done much else) in over a month. But this whole time (and no lie, 20 lbs later), I’ve been eating and eating and eating like I was still training for those races. Uggggggg-guh.
Point being …I need recipes like this to happen STAT and all the time. And so with that, I give you, my Vegan Pasta Primavera. In a creamy sauce, to check the I-need-cheese-box too. ?
With this recipe, I went back to one of my favorite solutions for eating healthier, using magical cashews to make a creamy, really really tasty “sauce”. Raw cashews become super soft when soaked in water, so then we just blend them up to make them creamy. The important thing with this technique is to add acid (here, lemon), Dijon, and plenty of salt because that all together with the cashew is what creates the flavor.
Then after we make our easy, blender sauce, we just toss in some oven roasted vegetables and pasta. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Because we are busy and need dinner ready quickly. Boom, bonus.
So that’s it folks! Thank you for another great year here at my little blog and I wish for a healthy new year for all of you loves. ❤
Creamy Vegan Vegetable Primavera
- 16 oz rotini pasta
- 2 lb zucchini, chopped in bite-sized bites
- 1-1/2 lb yellow summer squash, chopped in bite-sized bites
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Cashew Alfredo
- 8 oz raw cashews, soaked in water overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- couple pinches fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 400F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Toss the zucchini and squash in the olive oil and layer on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a food processor, add the soaked cashews. Blend until almost smooth. add remaining ingredients for the "alfredo" and blend until very smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Combine the roasted vegetables, Cashew Alfredo, and cooked pasta. Serve garnished with additional chopped fresh herb if desired. Yields: 8 servings.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.