Pretty, colorful Kid-Friendly Confetti Rice is a sure way to get the kids to eat their veggies! Ready in 20 minutes, this recipe is easy, cheap, and just a perfect, healthy side-dish for my family during the week.
I love this little recipe. It’s super fast, and just LOOK at it – pretty veggies with lots of colors and fun little pieces. And corn – kids always go for corn. So even though this dish is loaded with veggies, they are presented in a way that is less intimidating – kindof like a little trickery don’cha think? I am totally not above tricking my kids to get them to eat what I want. (insert devilish grin here) And MY 3 year old actually ate this!! Voluntarily! And loved it!!!!!!!! He ate this Kid-Friendly Confetti Rice up like there was no tomorrow and even asked for more making me one happy mamma 🙂
- 1 c jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 T vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) or 2 t extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c whole kernel corn, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 c fresh snipped chives
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Place the diced veggies on a rimmed bake sheet. Toss in the olive oil. Season with a couple pinches kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. At the same time, put the veggies in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes to cook. Both the rice and veggies will then be done at about the same time.
- To a large bowl, add the cooked rice and light butter and combine as the butter melts (something needs to be added to the rice or it'll get all gummy. I like Olivio spread because it's just butter, olive oil, and a little canola oil). Add the cooked veggies, corn, chives, and a pinch pepper to the rice. Taste for seasoning and add more salt to taste (it will need salt). Yield: 4 adult-sized servings.