A creamy, delicious, and healthy dressing highlight this elegant-but-easy Chopped Salad with Buttermilk-Pesto Dressing dinner salad that will impress everyone.
Salad and I have a very strained relationship. I know it’s good for me, but it’s a forced relationship ….it doesn’t come naturally. Like any relationship, there are ups and downs, good times and bad. Then, once in a while, salad surprises me and at least for a time, I am head over heels.
Lawd that was hokey….but it’s hard coming up with new and different ways to describe lettuce.
This salad is my version of one my husband and I had at a tapas restaurant in Savannah, GA, a couple years ago. R-A-R-E-L-Y does a salad make such an impression on me that here I am years later still smitten. It was that good. My recipe is that good. And, bonus, my recipe is perfectly healthy! One thing I learned in this copyKat endeavor was that a super creamy dressing can be made without a bit of mayonnaise. Life as I know it will never be the same, so stay tuned…
- 1 (6.5 oz) bag butter lettuce and green leaf lettuce salad mix
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
- 1/4 c diced red onion
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 c light buttermilk
- 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1 T Basil Pesto (or store-bought)
- pinch kosher salt
- On a large cutting board, chop the butter and green leaf salad mix to make the pieces even smaller. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cucumber and red onion. Spoon in some Buttermilk-Pesto Dressing and toss, adding enough dressing to coat all the salad evenly. Yield: 4 servings as a side salad.
- Whisk ingredients together until smooth. Store in the refrigerator up to one week.