Don’t you love it when you create something you’ve never made before and it’s delicious AND you used only ingredients you found in your pantry and fridge? My daughter literally licked her plate clean. This is that good.
This is an easy, Mexican twist on Shepherd’s Pie. And it is absolutely delicious. So add this to your weeknight rotation!
- 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 T fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3 t chili powder, plus additional for dusting
- 1 c cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c whole kernal corn
- 1 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar
- ~1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Smashed Potatoes (I made a whole recipe and munched on the rest)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown the meat with the onion and the carrot until beef is no longer pink. Drain the juice and add the soup, salt, oregano, cilantro, chili powder, and black beans. Combine.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust and line a large pie plate fluting the edges. Add the meat mixture and press flat into the pie shell. Layer the corn, bell pepper, and cheese, pressing a bit to get it to fit. Top with the smashed potatoes. Dust more chili powder on top. Bake at 375 for 1 hour until crust is cooked through. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
Way to focus the camera Erica…geesh.