Sometimes you just want an obnoxiously good burger.
BBQ Bacon Double Cheeseburgers on Homemade Pretzel Buns
- 1 batch Pretzel Bread, prepared to make 4 buns
- 1 red onion, sliced (don't separate the rings until after grilling)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t fresh cracked pepper
- 1 t McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning
- 1 t McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning
- couple sprinkles Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T half and half (*see Note)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- purchased BBQ sauce (I use Jack Daniels brand)
- Heat grill to high heat.
- Put the beef, salt, pepper, Garlic and Herb seasoning, Montreal Steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and half and half into a large bowl. Quickly stir using your fingers until just combined. Form 4 large, flat patties.
- Spray the burgers and the onion slices on both sides with cooking spray. Grill the burgers to desired doneness (I do 3 minutes per side for medium-rare on my grill). Grill the onions as well.
- To assemble the burgers, place the bottom half of a pretzel bun on the plate. Layer a slice of cheese, a burger, 2 slices bacon, a second piece of cheese, a tomato slice, then some bbq sauce. Finish with the top half of the bun. You can give it a quick zap in the microwave if you want the cheese melty. Serves 4.
- I added the half and half to compensate for the fact that I was using 93% lean ground beef (that's what I found in my freezer). If I were using ground chuck or beef with more fat, I would omit the half and half.
Erica's Recipes http://ericasrecipes.com/