Easy pulled chicken, cooked in the slow cooker, paired with a crisp and flavorful Asian slaw, and served in cute sliders! This Chinese BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders with Red Cabbage Slaw is a fun, low stress, TASTY recipe to try.
Don’t you just love easy meals that cook themselves?!! I LOVE easy meals that cook themselves! Especially when they make my house smell freaking awesome in the process. Certain meats are conducive for slow ‘cookering’ and chicken thighs sure are one of them. I’ve made pulled chicken in the slow cooker before (check out my Pumpkin Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders) and not only is pulled chicken less fatty than pork or beef, but it’s really just as lip-smacking good sandwiched in a bun with some really great slaw.
I love to make Asian barbecue, but I hadn’t done it with chicken until now. This recipe is simply adapted from my Chinese BBQ Pork Spareribs. I used the same marinade and then just threw the chicken into the crock-pot and let’er go. Only problem I had was I had planned on this lasting a couple nights. …it didn’t. It was gone… in a good way.
Chinese BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders with Red Cabbage Slaw
- ¼ c sherry
- ¼ c reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ c hoisin
- 1 T brown sugar
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 t Sriracha
- ½ t Chinese 5-spice
- ½ t onion powder
- ¼ t ground ginger powder
- 3 T honey
- 1 T sesame oil
- 6 large chicken thighs skinless
- 12 slider rolls
- Red Cabbage Slaw recipe follows
Red Cabbage Slaw
- 2 T peanut butter
- 1 T Chinese spicy mustard
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 T reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ t ground ginger
- 2 t honey
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ medium head red cabbage thinly sliced
- ¼ c chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions green and white parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 T roasted peanuts chopped
- In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients up to and including the sesame oil. Whisk until smooth. Add the chicken and cook on low, 6-8 hours.
- For the Red Cabbage Slaw: In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, mustard, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, hone, and lime juice. To the bowl, add the remaining ingredients and toss it all together using thongs.
- Remove chicken to a plate or cutting board and, using 2 forks, shred the meat. Discard the bones. Transfer the pulled chicken to a bowl and add some of the sauce from the crock-pot to keep the meat moist. Serve on slider rolls with Red Cabbage Slaw. Yield: 6 servings.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.