Healthy protein and fats highlight this satisfying Healthy Breakfast Sandwich with Homemade Turkey Chorizo with flavor-packed, homemade chorizo sausage!
I am a creature of habit, especially when it comes to what I eat during the week. I keep things predictable and repetitive. And I’ve shared what a typical food day for me looks like, because just keeping it real folks …and obviously I don’t eat Queso and Monkey Bread all the time (though boy, do I wish I could).
Lately, I’ve been having a Super Good Morning Green Smoothie first thing in the morning and then following up with an egg and avocado on English muffin mid-morning. This has been making me veerrrrry happy, but I’m still getting hungry again too soon for lunchtime. This is my solution – adding a bit more lean protein to the ‘mcmuffin’, packed with a ton of flavor, does the trick perfectly.
So let’s talk about this sausage… This was my first endeavor at such a thing. I love Mexican chorizo, but it’s clearly a no-no if you’re trying to eat healthy. That doesn’t mean we can’t take lean turkey and add those chorizo flavors to elevate it to something awesome, right?
This way we know what we are eating. We are in control. You can even buy free-range, organic happy happy ground turkey if you like and feel even better about it. And it just tastes sooo much better than any fast food something or pre-made anything from the store freezer. With 280 calories per serving, 19g protein, 11g healthy fat, 25g whole wheat carb energy, and even a nice hit of 12% RDA of calcium as a bonus. You just can’t beat starting your day like this. And you deserve it.
Healthy Breakfast Sandwich with Homemade Turkey Chorizo
For the Turkey Chorizo
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast meat
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t coriander
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 t dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t fresh cracked pepper
- cooking spray
For the Breakfast Sandwich (per sandwich)
- 1 cooked Turkey Chorizo sausage patty
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 whole wheat English muffin
To make the Turkey Chorizo
- Put the turkey and spices in a mixing bowl. Using your fingers, combine the turkey and seasonings. Portion the turkey chorizo mixture into 16 portions. Form each portion into a ~3-inch diameter, 1/4-in thin patty.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Working in batches, lay sausage patties in the pan pressing to keep them thin and flat. Cook until browned on the bottom and when you can see the edges starting to cook as well. Flip and press again with a spatula to keep the patties thin and flat. Once cooked through, transfer to a plate to cool. Repeat with the remaining sausage patties. Yield: 16 patties.
To make the Breakfast Sandwich
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add the egg and cook over easy if you want (I like a runny yolk) or all the way through if you don't. Or scramble it. Your breakfast, your choice!
- Toast the English muffin. Serve with a patty of Turkey Chorizo sausage, the cooked egg, and avocado stacked in between the English muffin halves.
Also, throw on a nice slice of tomato, and it gets even better.
Calorie count is purely an estimate calculated using an online application to serve as a guide and not to be taken as accurate nutritional information. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.