With a creamy ricotta pizza sauce and lemony, garlicky shrimp, this Four Cheese Shrimp Scampi Pizza is decadent, different, and DELICIOUS.
I think on the eighth day, God made pizza. What other explanation could there be? I’m even willing to bet it follows divine proportion somehow. Everything works on pizza …because bread and cheese go with everything. So as a rule, pizza is always awesome.
Succulent, versatile shrimp is outstanding on pizza. I put shrimp on my Cajun Pizza with Andouille and Shrimp, which was amazing. And for this recipe, I’ve used shrimp in a quick scampi with fresh lemon and plenty of gah-lic on a pizza. This is my answer for keeping our Friday pizza night during Lent. Thank you God for the idea!
- 1 thin, precooked pizza shell (I get mine at a local gourmet shop, The Pizza Gourmet www.woodgrilledpizzacrusts.com, but any thin crust will do)
- 1/2 c part-skim ricotta
- 2 T milk or cream
- 1/4 c freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 c chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 T very finely diced onion
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T unsalted butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 c julienne-cut, sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 c shredded fontina cheese
- couple pinches fresh cracked pepper
- Heat the pizza stone in the oven set to 425F. Once the oven is heated, continue to heat an additional 10-15 minutes to be sure the stone is properly heated.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the ricotta sauce.
- For the shrimp, heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet on high heat. Once the butter starts to bubble, add the shrimp and garlic. Spread the shrimp in a layer and cook briefly to just sear one side, then flip to sear the other (you want to just brown the sides and leave them raw in the middle - they'll finish cooking in the oven). Add the lemon juice and cook briefly to reduce the juice a bit. Remove from the heat.
- Take the pizza stone out of the oven. Lay out the crust on the stone. Spread the ricotta sauce over the crust. Top with the shrimp and all the garlic-butter. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and cheese. Finish the top with a little pepper. Put the stone with the pizza back in the oven and cook 10-15 minutes until crust is crispy and cheese is lightly browned and melty awesome. Yield: 4 servings.