Ahhh…the Friday night special. Pizza reigns on Fridays in our home, and this veggie version makes a very regular appearance. It also uses up excess crap in my fridge the day before I go to the grocery store to load up all over again.
The ingredient list below is one of my favorite combinations, but I really do just use whatever veggies I need to use up including also arugula, spinach, roasted red peppers, olives, yellow summer squash, carrot (finely shredded), and even peas.
- 1/2 recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- couple small ladles of pizza sauce
- zucchini, sliced very thin
- onion, sliced thin
- broccoli, very finely chopped
- sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 c mozzarella cheese or whatever you have on hand (for the photo above, I also threw on 1/2 c cheddar)
- Heat the oven to 450F with the pizza stone or bake sheet in the oven to heat as well.
- Roll out your dough and transfer onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake dough shell 5 minutes (if using a purchased pizza crust, skip this step). Remove the pizza stone with the pizza crust from the oven and quickly layer the veggies and cheese. Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melty and lightly browned.
I went a little heavy on the cheese this time…
Here are older photos from other occasions I’ve made this pizza. This photo below, I used broccoli, onion, mushroom, zucchini, spinach, and arugula.
And here’s another where I used green bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom, broccoli and cauliflower…