Hearty and heartful, Potato Leek Noodle Soup is just the fix for whatever ails you. This simple, vegan soup is filling and sure to satisfy all.
It’s winter. I get it. I may live in Florida, wear flip-flops to work all year (hehe), but I get it. I grew up in Boston after all, went to college in New Hampshire and I swear we had a bazillion blizzards my senior year, but my memory serves and I get it. It is January, it is cold outside, warm inside. This clearly calls for soup.
And so here we have this easy little soup recipe here. Healthy. Healthful. Soulful. See, we don’t need cream of anything, or even cream, to enjoy potato and leek deliciousness. To have a bowl of love, to nurse the ailments, the sniffles, and get us through …whatever. Pure comfort. Served with a spoon.
So this dinner was literally thrown together on a weeknight. I had something else in mind, but soup is where I ended up. Divine intervention perhaps? Maybe. Because it sure hit the spot when it did.
I have come to love cooking with vegetable broth like I used to love chicken broth. It may sound like such a minor change, and it is, but it comes with huge ramification and huge-er satisfaction and all the flavor you could ever hope for.
Potatoes and leeks! This timeless combination is usually drowned in cream and cheese and eggs or quiche and such. So, this recipe is a simple soup where the ingredients can speak for themselves. I did use wine, because I ADORE the flavor wine imparts when I cook with it. And herbs. Always.
So that’s it folks! I like never make soup, but here I am giving you a soup as my first recipe for 2017. Enjoy and have a peaceful New Year. ?
Potato Leek Noodle Soup
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1 8 oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 2 carrots small dice
- 2 large leeks thinly sliced (white parts only)
- 2 large red potatoes small dice
- 1 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage minced
- 6 oz good quality noodles prepared according to package directions
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet on high heat. Add the oil and mushrooms and cook, tossing regularly, until mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Add the carrot, leeks, and potatoes, and cook until leeks are softened and fragrant. Add the flour and cook a minute, stirring. Add the wine to deglaze, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, then cook until liquid is mostly evaporated.
- Add the vegetable broth, reduce heat, and simmer gently until potatoes are tender.
- Add the beans, herbs, and noodles. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I am a heavy salter). Yields: 4-6 servings.