Hatch Green Chile Mashed Potatoes. Creamy mashed potatoes loaded with cheese, garlic, and Hatch green chile, then TOPPED with olive, onion, and more Hatch green chile for an awesome tapenade-ish kinda vibe. This is an inspired recipe for an irresistible and easy side dish that will get all the attention.
So Hatch green chile was BOGO at my grocery store last week. And I bought a thousand cans. And I had never cooked with them before.
BUT I knew they are of legend so I couldn’t stop myself and I committed. This recipe is my first with this ingredient, and I am literally, obsessively, hooked in love for life.
Like a zillion years ago when I lived in Texas, a friend made a simple cream cheese cracker dip using hatch green chile. She had lived in New Mexico, and she and her husband were Hatch devotees.
Food memories I call them, and most of the recipes you see on my blog come from them. That Hatch chile dip is the food memory for this recipe.
Armed with my stockpile of Hatch, I set out to make my first recipe. And I have literally no idea how I came up with this idea – including the part about topping mashed potatoes with basically a tapenade. ?
That’s out of left field even for me.
But I Can. Not. Get. Over myself. This Hatch Green Chile Mashed Potatoes recipe is sooooooooo good.
Creamy, cheesy, with SUCH an incredible flavor. A little olive – but not too much, because not everyone is down with that. Lots of cheese. LOTS of chile, and I used mild so I could pile it on because my kids were going to be eating it.
The cans came mild or hot, so you could do either, or one of each to come out around medium. And I served the tapenade on the side so people could choose whether they wanted to use it or not.
But I HIGHLY recommend just trying it. This was so good, and so different, and the little crunch from onion in the tapenade ….Mmmmm. It comes together for a really tasty side.
So that’s it kids. A new twist on regular ‘ol mashed taters. I adore this Hatch Green Chile Mashed Potatoes recipe, it is so good, and I hope you like it!
As always, let me know if you do. Peace!
Hatch Green Chile Mashed Potatoes
For the potatoes
- 2 lbs red skinned potatoes quartered
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 4 oz can Hatch green chilies, drained (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk ranch salad dressing
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
For the Hatch green chile-olive topping
- 1 4 oz can Hatch green chilies, drained
- 2 oz chopped black olives
- 2 green onions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Put the potatoes and garlic in a pot and add enough water to cover. Boil ~15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- In a bowl, add the cooked potatoes with the garlic, milk, butter, ranch, salt, and pepper. Mash the potatoes until mostly creamy but still a little chunky. Add 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a bake dish or small casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through and cheeses are all melty.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the Hatch green chile-olive topping. Serve over the mashed potatoes. Yields 6 servings.
Leave me a comment! Otherwise, I’m just talking to myself and that’s no fun. Have you ever had Hatch green chile?