This Light and Lemony Quinoa Salad is the easiest thing ever. Such a healthy mix of greens, tomato, onion, herb, and protein-rich quinoa in a simple vinaigrette. So delicious with so little effort.
Yes, a SALAD! From ME. That like never happens, right? But I am in loooove with this one guys. Fresh, clean, healthy, and crowd-pleasing. Kid-approved even. A perfect side dish for anyone, or a perfect main meal for a vegetarian. Summer happiness is here, in a light and lemony vinaigrette.
So how’s your summerrrr?! Mine is flying by. I can’t even keep up. Ironman Louisville is in 3 months (oyyyy), so the training is pretty time-consuming at this point. But I’m handling that best I can – and feeling amazing actually. 👌 I have had no meat or dairy (save for a couple bites from my son’s cheese pizza last Saturday night at Disney – does it count if it’s at Disney?) for a month. And I. Feel. So good. Like really really unexpectedly energetic, great workouts, and no cravings whatsoever. And it has been very approachable, very dooable, and VERY TASTY. Satisfying. On so many levels. ❤
So when July 4th rolled around, I wanted to give my family the BBQ they were wanting, but have something additional that would satisfy all of us, me included. This salad was so saving. I grilled up some Honey, Bourbon, and Root Beer Glazed Baby Back Ribs for them – checked that box. Then this salad. …and just maybe, also, a batch of deviled eggs.
What makes this salad so special is 3 things I think. First, garden fresh ingredients – crisp romaine, onion, tomato, and herb are totally called for this time of year. Then the vinaigrette – a little Dijon, some lemon, garlic – so simple it’s crazy how yummy it is. Then the quinoa. …See, if you give up meat, you still need protein. And not just protein, but all 9 essential amino acids. And this magical little seed is rich in complete protein with all those aminos. Hence, happiness was had by all.
So that’s it folks. A fantastically delicious yet simple salad, perfect for yourself, your family, or scale it up for a party. Keep this recipe handy to make everyone happy.
Say it with me …Vegan once a week. Vegetarian twice a week. …It’s a start. 🌎💚
Light and Lemony Quinoa Salad
A healthy mix of greens, tomato, onion, herb, and protein-rich quinoa in a simple vinaigrette. So delicious with so little effort.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 head romaine lettuce sliced into ribbons
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 to matoes seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbs Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh basil leaves chopped
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the quinoa and boil 15 minutes. Drain the water leaving just the quinoa in the pot. Replace the lid and let quinoa steam 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To make the dressing, add the parsley, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil to create the emulsion.
- To a serving bowl, add the quinoa, lettuce, onion, and tomatoes. Drizzle with the prepared vinaigrette and toss to distribute evenly. Serve at room temperature. Yields 4 servings.