Sweet pineapple, macadamia nuts, and lime highlight this new spin on the classic thumbprint cookie. If your holiday season is marked with batches and batches of cookies, Tropical Thumbprint Cookies is a perfect new recipe to add to your cookie line-up.
This post is sponsored.
Okay, so the holiday decorations are starting to appear in the stores. I spotted no less than three houses today already decked out in their Christmas best. So, of course, food blogs are starting to crank out the cookie recipes…
But this one is different! Not really – but really it is. My mom is in town visiting us as I type, and I made these new cookies precisely because they are a spin on a recipe I grew up with from her. That recipe is my one of my all-time favorite holiday cookies (and I cannot believe I have never taken photos …tsk. tsk. on me), and I always think of her when I see thumbprints. So I wanted to spin away on that and make it all Flo-ri-da.
…not that macadamia nuts or pineapples are from Florida at all, but you get the idea.
So apparently I have been on a thing lately using random ingredients in new places right? Beans in brownies, Lemon-basil sherbet in a mimosa, and puffed pastry as pizza crust. So much fun. So why not use a couple Smucker’s toppings on new cookies. They have a whole line of toppings to choose from at Targét (with a French accent), and there’s no reason to keep them just on ice cream. Totally makes sense to me.
The flavor in the cookie is awesome. My mom says it reminds her of a sweet lemon square – despite the fact that there is no lemon anywhere near this recipe. I think what she meant is that the sweet pineapple and the citrussy lime come together and just make this cookie familiar. Even if you have never had it before. Deliciously sweet …and a little sticky in the best way from the marshmallow drizzle.
Love. This. Cookie. – a little sweet, a little sticky, lucious and buttery, and the macadamia coating could not rock any more than it does. Just yummy so yummy. I hope you will give this fantastic cookie a try for something new this holiday season!
Tropical Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- zest of a lime
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of a lime
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg white slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- Smucker's Pineapple Topping
- Smucker's Marshmallow Topping
- additional lime zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, lime zest, and vanilla. Sift in the flour and salt. Form 1-in balls with the dough. Dip each ball in egg white, and roll in the chopped nuts. Place 1-in apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 5 min and remove from oven. Press each with your thumb and return to the oven. Bake 6 min longer. Remove from the oven, gently transfer to parchment to cool completely.
- Once cool, spoon a little pineapple topping in each thumbprint. Warm the jar of marshmallow topping in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, then use a spoon to drizzle over the cookies. Top with lime zest. Yields 16 cookies.
Leave me a comment! What’s your favorite holiday cookie?