Mushroom, broccoli, and spinach, mixed with cheese, rolled in pasta, and baked. This vegetarian Mushroom, Broccoli, and Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups pasta dinner is not heavy and not greasy. Just delicious comfort food, under a blanket of bechamel.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have made this vegetarian Mushroom, Broccoli, and Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups dish twice. Once with mushrooms and once without. This recipe made its debut on my kitchen table without the mushrooms ….and the recipe needed a little love as they often doooo first time out. So, a couple adjustments later, including adding some juicy shrooms, and we had what you see before you. …We were sitting at the dinner table, I was inhaling my dinner very happy with it and pleased with myself, and my daughter suddenly says “you know, I liked this better without the mushrooms. I think they don’t contribute flavor and just add a weird texture”. …sigh.
Although that is good commentary for a 12 year old, I disagree completely. But mushrooms are one of those ingredients some people (such as my Mom) stand firmly, forever opposed. So, if you don’t like mushrooms, just leave them out – this will still be a delicious dinner for ya (just cut the olive oil to 1 tablespoon and proceed with the recipe as written). If you like mushrooms, then absolutely, definitely keep them in.
Mushroom, Broccoli, and Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups
Mushroom, broccoli, and spinach, mixed with cheese, rolled in pasta, and baked.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz white button or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese
- 1 15 oz tub part-skim ricotta cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large, nonstick pan, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are well browned. Add the onion and garlic and saute until onion turns translucent. Add the broccoli and spinach and cook just until broccoli is fragrant and the spinach is wilted.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mushroom-broccoli-spinach mixture with the thyme, parsley, parmesan, and ricotta. Season well with salt and pepper (~1/2 t salt, good pinch pepper) to taste. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and flour, whisking until smooth, over medium-high heat. Cook another minute to cook the flour. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, 7-8 minutes until thickened. Season with a pinch salt. Set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles to al dente in heavily salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water so pasta is cool enough to handle.
- Ladle ~1/2 c bechamel in a 13x9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. On a large cutting board or other clean surface, lay out 6 noodles. Divide half the veggie-ricotta mixture over the pasta, spreading in a layer. Roll up each noodle and place in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles. Ladle the rest of the bechamel over the lasagna rolls. Top each with mozzarella.
- Cover baking dish loosely with foil. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve with additional parsley sprinkled over top. Yield: 6 servings.