Weeknight Bolognese over Spaghetti Squash with a quick meat sauce, served over spaghetti squash cooked easily in the microwave.
It cracks me up how, whenever my family sees me making spaghetti squash in place of pasta, they utter a little word or sigh or two of protest but then gobble it all up and get seconds. Replacing spaghetti with spaghetti squash is genius. Everyone should be doing this. But just occasionally..because pasta is awesome too.
Weeknight Bolognese over Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium carrot finely shredded
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 1 large rib celery diced
- 1/2 t kosher salt divided
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 c Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 T half and half or milk
- garnish: freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Using a fork and sharp knife, pierce the squash all over. Place on a microwave-proof dish lined with a double layer paper towels. Cook in the microwave and cook on high 15-20 minutes, depending how big your squash is, turning once (mine was good sized and took 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until fat is rendered. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat, until meat is about half done. Add the carrot, celery, onion, 1/4 t salt and a good pinch pepper, and continue cooking, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink and veggies are softened. Add the tomatoes with the juice, the tomato paste, and the remaining 1/4 t salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Mix in the parsley and half and half, taste for seasoning.
- Remove the squash from the microwave to a large cutting board. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and discard the seeds. Using a fork, pull the squash in to shreds into a large bowl. Toss squash with a good pinch salt. Serve topped with bolognese sauce and freshly grated parmesan. Serves 4.