These freeze really well and are actually not as unhealthy as they sound, especially if you use ground turkey instead of sausage.
- 12 manicotti tubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ lb Hot Italian sausage (or any ground meat)
- 1 t each oregano and parsley
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 c Marinara (or store-bought)
- 1 (8 oz) tub part-skim ricotta
- 1/3 c fresh, grated parmesan, divided
- 1 c mozzarella, divided
Cook pasta, but for a minute less than the package directions. Brown the meat; drain fat. Mix meat with onion, seasonings (go heavy on the salt; probably about 1 teaspoon), ricotta, and half of each cheese. Stuff filling into tubes; put tubes in baking dish. Top with sauce and remaining cheeses. Bake at 350 until bubbly, about 25-30 min.