Sometimes, you just want comfort, and a good old-fashioned Hash Brown Casserole is just that. And it only seems fitting to pair it with a fluffy piece of cornbread. For this meal, I also grilled up some bacon-wrapped shrimp and pineapple and made a salad with tomatoes from my garden, but for me it was all about this casserole and cornbread.
Hash Brown Casserole
- 2 (20oz) packages Simply Potatoes shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 (8oz) carton sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ c butter, softened
- 1 t salt
- 1 t coarsely ground pepper
- ½ c crushed Town House or Ritz crackers.
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, soup, cheese, butter, salt, and pepper with the potatoes and put in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with crackers, and bake until bubbly, browned, and the potatoes are cooked through (~hour and a half). Serve!
Jalapeno Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 jalapenos (preferably 1 red and 1 green for color)
- 1/4 c chopped scallion
- 1/2 t each chili powder, cumin, and rubbed sage
- good pinch kosher salt and pepper
- 1/3 c buttermilk (I add an extra splash or two because I like my cornbread very moist)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350F. Whisk all ingredients together and put in a small baking dish or in muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray. Cook 10-15 minutes, depending, until lightly browned and cooked through.