Tender slow cooker rosemary pot roast with fresh rosemary and veggies, slow cooked in the crock-pot straight from the freezer for an easy, weeknight dinner to welcome you home.
Oh heyyy! I am starting a new collection of recipes I am SUPER STOKED about. With Ironman Louisville triathlon coming for me this fall – and seeing already how life with this kindof training goes (when was the last time I washed my kitchen floor? I seriously don’t know) …I am trying to anticipate that if it is like this now, how will it be through the summer when training really takes over. And, more honestlly, when I just won’t have the mental capacity to deal…
So, I am developing new recipes that are “Freezer-to-Crockpot” ready for me to make my family – amiright? Brilliant yes? Yes. 👏
This slow-cooker rosemary pot roast dinner is everything. It is delicious. It is inexpensive. And it is fantastically EASYYYYY. 😍
So what I did here was simply season and sear some pot roast beef, then throw it into the freezer with a couple other ingredients. A month later, I pulled it out, threw it in the crockpot with a splash of red wine in the morning before work …let it go on lowwww …then I came home to a crockpot full of tasty tasty. All I had to do was make some quick noodles to go with, and we ate. And ate and ate.
I was so excited for this one I even instagrammed it. 😂
Now, the only real trick to this recipe is to let it cook long enough that the meat passes that tough phase that all meat goes through, and ensure that it enters that glorious tender phase when you can just easily pull it apart. If you get home and it’s not quite there yet, just let it go another 30-40 minutes and check again. It will get there 😊. Clearly, starting with frozen meat means the crockpot will have to thaw THEN cook. So patiennnnce my friends. It is worth the wait.
So that’s it kids! A spectacularly simple recipe to make our lives just a bit easier, and give us a cozy bit of comfort during the busy week to boot. With flavors and aromas that will waft through your home and make you the envy of your little corner of the neighborhood.
- 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (1-3/4 to 2 lb) boneless shoulder pot roast
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 a large white onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1-1/2 cups cut green beans
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or more, to taste)
- Heat the oil in a skillet on high heat. Cut roast in half to make 2 pieces and season with salt and pepper. Sear the meat in the hot pan, browning well.
- Put the seared roast, onion, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, garlic, and rosemary sprigs in a large ziploc bag. Freeze. Yields 6 servings.
- To cook, transfer the contents of the ziploc bag to your crockpot. Add a splash of red wine. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Using 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Taste for seasoning, adding kosher salt if necessary. Add the chopped rosemary. Serve over buttered egg noodles. Yields 6 servings