The idea for this appetizer was to take something homely and humble, like a little pig in a blanket (as a perfect example, see my L’il Smokies), and recreate it to something worthy of a special occasion. Yes, I was challenging myself. And what was so great about this little endeavor is the Cranberry BBQ Sauce that resulted!! I can’t describe how happy I am about it. These little bundles were easy to put together, and they are quite worthy of any occasion for entertaining.
- 12 sheets fillo (phyllo) dough, thawed
- cooking spray
- 1 (12 oz) pkg Aidells Chicken and Apple Chicken Sausage, each link cut into 6 (~3/4-in) pieces, ends discarded or fed to your toddler
- 4 t Dijon mustard
- fresh chopped chives (for sprinkling)
- fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (for sprinkling)
- Cranberry BBQ Sauce
- Heat oven to 375F.
- On a washable cutting board, lay out 1 sheet fillo dough. Spray with cooking spray. Lay another on top of the first. Spray with cooking spray again. Repeat once more. Place a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in the center of the dough and, using a pastry brush, gently brush the mustard evenly over the dough.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 6 squares. Place a sausage piece on each dough square. Top each piece of sausage with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan and chives. Gather up the corners of the dough around the sausage and pinch to make a "bundle". Repeat this process 3 more times to use up all the sausage making 24 appetizers. Bake at 375F until golden brown (~10-15 minutes). Serve with Cranberry BBQ Sauce.