These are light, healthy, and great for a Florida summer dinner by the pool. I adapted this from a Bobby Flay recipe.
Salmon Tacos with Chipotle Cole Slaw and Orange-Jalapeno Sauce
For the salmon:
- 1-2 lb salmon (1 lb will feed 3-4)
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chili powder
- Old Bay seasoning
- zest of a lime
For the cole slaw:
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 c Canola or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/2 t chipotle chili powder (depending how much kick you want)
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- flour or corn tortillas
- Orange-Jalapeno Sauce, recipe follows
Combine the mayo, chipotle chili power, lime juice, and zest in a small bowl, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Separately, combine the cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and jalapeno. Toss the mayo mixture to coat the cabbage. Chill.
Preheat grill or grill pan over high heat. I use a saute pan designed for the grill so I don’t lose the fish down between the grill grates.
Lightly brush salmon with oil. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, Old Bay, and lime zest. Grill at ~400F (med-high) for about 10-15 min or until fish flakes easily.
Lightly grill the tortillas on each side until scored with grill marks. To serve, place a tortilla on the plate, add some salmon, then some cole slaw, and drizzle on a little Orange-Jalapeno sauce. Delish!
- 3 c orange juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and cut into quarters
- 1/2 T honey
- pinch kosher salt
Place juice and jalapeno in a medium nonreactive saucepan and cook over med-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally (takes ~1 hr). Remove the jalapeno pieces, whisk in the honey, and season with salt. Set aside to cool.