OK here it is! Here’s my baby!! For years, I tried SO many macaroni and cheese recipes. I wanted a really really good classic version that my kids would grow up with and want to cook for their kids. A version that once they’re grown, they will request this dish when they visit home! I finally came up with this one, and it’s the keeper!
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 3 T unsalted butter, divided
- 2 T flour
- 2 ½ c milk (not skim milk - use 1 or 2%)
- 2 oz Velveeta
- 2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 T Grey Poupon Country Dijon mustard
- ½ t kosher salt
- pinch fresh cracked pepper
- ½ c crushed Keebler Club crackers or Ritz
- Cook the macaroni in heavily salted water to 1 minute less than the package says to cook for al dente.
- In the meantime, melt 2 T butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Cook 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add the cheeses, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Add macaroni. Transfer to greased 2-qt baking dish. Melt remaining 1 T butter and toss with crushed crackers. Sprinkle the buttered cracker crumbs over the macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30 min until bubbly and golden brown.